I wanted to link to a couple of of apps on the Zune marketplace today. Easier said then done. But i figured it out at last. Start with a link like this:
Type is kind of obvious, ID is the one i had some problems with and source is just used for tracking and is optional.
How do i find the ID?
I spent 30 minutes on Google trying to figure this out and the only thing i found was this dude who had the same question. After a while i realized that Zune is of course using http to communicate with the world as everything else and since i have Fiddler installed i started it and browsed to an app in the Zune Marketplace and there i found it! Quick walkthough:
- If you do not have Fiddler just download it from their website.
- Start Fiddler and then browse to an application in the Marketplace with your Zune Software. You should see stuff happening in Fiddler.
- In the URL column look for a a URL looking something like this: http://catalog.zune.net/v3.2/en-GB/apps/981750c8-24cc-df11-9eae-00237de2db9e/?version=latest&clientType=WinMobile%207.0&store=Zest
- The long string (it’s a GUID) you see in green above is the ID you looking for.
- Just copy the ID into the URL and you have a fine link.
Let’s hope Microsoft make this a bit easier soon.